Tuesday 14 January 2014

Phil: My Current Bench System

I am currently performing 2 bench sessions per week. My heavy session is done on Saturday and my rep session is done on Wednesday.  I used to do this the other way round, with my heavy session on wednesday but it is more convenient time wise to get a longer session on Saturday, and what with bringing the bench shirt back in, I can't be worried about running out of time due to work commitments taking PT sessions or running classes which I have on wednesday night either side of my bench session.

After a lot of deliberation I have devised a system which I feel suits what my bench needs at the moment. My raw bench has not made a lot of progress in the last year, and although this is partly down to a few niggling injuries and shoulder issues, I have not seen the progress I would have liked.

I have found it difficult to bring my raw bench up at the same time as getting enough work in on my equipped bench press as well.

Here is the outline of what I now have as a progressive system.


On Saturday (Max effort Bench Day)

Raw Bench - Warm up with Incline Dumbbell Flyes, Then 2 sets of Incline Dumbbell Presses and Rear Delt Work.

 3 x 3 @ 30-40% 1RM (raw max)

Week 1 - 60% x 3, 70% x 3, 80% x3, 85% x 3 or more (max of 6 reps in this set)
Week 2 - 65% x 2, 75% x 2, 85% x 2, 90% x 2 or more (max of 4 reps in this set)
Week 3 - 70% x 1, 80% x 1, 90% x 1, 95% x 1 or more (max of 3 reps in this set)
Week 4 - Deload

Then add weight to weeks 1-4 providing have reached target reps (6, 4 and 3)

Then use slingshots (Mark Bell's product) to do 2-3 sets to bridge the gap between the raw work and the shirted opener.

In the shirt, Alternate each week between heavy board work (3, 2 and 1 board), and sessions where the sole aim is to touch weights to the chest.

Example 1 Board Session - 205kg to 2 board, 215 to a 2 board, 220 to a 2 board, 225 to a 2 board, 230 to a 2 board

Example 2 Board Session - 210 x 2 board, 215 x 1 board, 220 x 1 board, 220 x 1 board, 225 x 1 board

Example 1 Touch Session - 205 x 2 board, 210 x 1 board, 210 to touch, 215 to touch, 220 to touch


Assistance on this Day is Shoulder Based and includes - Seated or Standing Shoulder Press and a combination of shoulder isolation work plus bicep work as well.

On Wednesday (raw Bench Day)

Use Texas Method / 5 x 5 Method / Stronglifts Method

Pick a weight you can get 8 reps on, Perform 5 sets of 5 reps (after warm up sets)
If get all reps then following week peform 5 sets of 5 ramping up each set.
Then re-set  and start again using an increase in load from your previous 5 x 5 weight you used in week 1.

Assistance here is dumbbell presses (to build the bottom part of the lift) - 5 x 8-15 reps.

Tricep Dips - 5 x 6-10

Elbow Extension work.



Will be posting notes from programme up in forthcoming weeks

Phil


No comments:

Post a Comment