Tuesday 24 June 2014

Nate's Plastic Weights Log (current training)

Progress from March Meet

So, it's been a while since I've last "blogged" anything about my training, apologies.

At my last meet, about 14 weeks ago, where I totalled 500kg, (175, 105, 220) in the under 20's under 74kg category. Oddly, enough, the progress which I am most pleased with is my bench. Funny really, as you can tell, it's the worst by a long, long way.

So what can I total now?

I recently re-tested all my maxes, in a "mock" competition. So, that was to commands, like in the real competition and all done on the same day. Where I totalled, a disappointing 525kg, unfortunately I missed my last deadlift. In the end I squatted 190kg, benched 115kg and deadlifted
220kg

Squat progress: overall I'm pleased with this. Which Is around 1kg a week. I feel this isn't amazing progress, but I think it should be sustainable (within reason).

Bench progress: historically my bench as moved slowly. This is certainly the biggest progress I've ever had in a 14 week period, so I'll try and keep this going!

Deadlift progress: although it would seem my deadlift hasn't moved, I have doubled 220kg in training. However, I clearly didn't put this together on the day. I missed 232.5kg, which would have given me a progress total of: 537.5kg.
   I don't feel that the 232.5kg is too far away, it is around the corner.





Plan:

I've started my meet preparation training for the junior nationals, in early October. I've changed my training split slightly. I'd say it's a bigger mental change rather than anything else.

Monday:
This is the heavy squat/deadlift day. On this day the focus is almost entirely on squatting and deadlifting maximally. I've adopted a two week split where I cycle focusing on the squat and deadlift.

1).
Week 1- heavy squats, this is anything from a max 1-3 or multiple sets of 1-3. Which you choose depends on how you're feeling.
  Deadlifts are take a back seat, I would typically do sets of 4-5 reps. So, more volume, but still hard work.

Week 2- main focus is the deadlift, but still squat first. Typically work up to around 90% of your 1RM for 2x2 or so.
   Deadlifts, go nuts! Same protocol for the squats on week 1. So, could go for a max 1-3 or do multiple sets of 1-3 reps.


Note: on this day, on the main focus exercise. If you still feel you have energy by all means drop down in weight and do some sets of higher reps (5+). Personally I think this is more relevant if you have done one max set of 1-3 reps, to get some more work in. If you're doing multiple sets of your chosen rep range for that day, you could still do this, but it might not be as necessary.
2).
Posterior chain work (reverse hyper, back arches, GHR etc)

3).
ABS

Note: you may want to superset these if you're running low on time. For the posterior chain work I would recommend high(er) rep ranges, such as: 5x15-20.

4).
Conditioning, for me this is just so I can get through a competition without feeling gassed. Something like prowler, tire flips etc...


Wednesday:
This is the max bench day.

1).
Similar to Monday, either a max set of 1-3 or multiple sets of 1-3. The only difference is this is not rotated with anything. Also the higher rep sets still apply.

2).
Supplemental tricep work. This will be relatively heavy, the idea here is to work the triceps for strength, not muscle building (if you want to do this, do it on Saturday).
   Exercises here could be: dips, close grip bench, floor press with a close grip.

3).
Back work, choose two back exercises, preferably one horizontal and one vertical. Personally, I would use high(er) rep ranges here.

4).
Some light shoulder work to keep them healthy. For instance front, side raises etc

Note: if you're thinking there isn't enough assistance, that's what the next two days are dedicated to.


Friday:
This is the squat and deadlift assistance day. As you may have been worried about, Monday doesn't really have many assistance/supplemental exercises.

The first two exercises are devoted to a supplemental exercise you feel you need for your squat and deadlift. The idea here is to use exercises which you know if they go up, so will your squat/deadlift. For instance, if your tricep push-down goes from say 15kg to 17.5kg your bench, most likely, won't have moved AT ALL. So the exercises picked here will be trained relatively heavy (reps from 3-6 say), however, you should do this for multiple sets. The idea here is not to go up to one max set, but to actually build a bigger better base of strength.
   I don't really want to go into what exercises you should be using because I believe you need to experiment with different exercises and see what works for you at that time. This will be based on your weaknesses and your technique.

After this, I like to do some high rep quad/hamstring builder or both. Then finish up with ABS.

So all of this looks like:

1). Squat builder

2). Deadlift builder
3). Quad builder

4). Hamstring builder

5). ABS

Note: I believe it's a good idea to rotate your builder exercises in some form, whether you choose to pick one exercises and do it for 4 weeks and then notice any difference it has that's fine. Or if you have a list of useful exercises and do one a week and the repeat that's also fine. However, if you choose the last method, I wouldn't recommend you pick too many otherwise it'll take too long to cycle round.

Saturday:
This is the bench assistance day. The same principle as the squat/deadlift builder day, but for your bench.

1). Bench builder. Again rotate this in some way.

2). Overhead work. For instance military press: 5x5-8, keep the reps higher on this.

3). Back work, like on Wednesday, choose two exercises.

4). Volume tricep work (optional). For me this isn't massively important as I'm not trying to go up a weight class, so I don't need a massive amount of volume work at the moment.

5).  Some light shoulder work to keep them healthy. For instance front, side raises etc

No comments:

Post a Comment