Friday 7 March 2014

Nate's plastic weights blog (meet review)

So, as some of you may know I competed at the south east GBPF championships on Sunday (March 2nd).

Although this was only three months after my last competition a lot has changed! I've moved up a weight class, something which is long overdue I feel. I've started squatting low bar and in OLY shoes. Not to mention the new numbers I've been hitting. A lot of this I owe down to Phil's programming guidance, I obviously can't speak for how it would work for others, but if feel it was just what i needed and when I needed it!

So to the competition!

My plan was to open on the squat with 155kg, which was my finally attempt at the last competition. The I was to go 165, and 175. All of these got three white lights, squatting felt very good this day, very good, for me at any rate.

Bench.... Hmmm.... This isn't such a great part, oh well. The plan was to end with a 2.5kg PR, which I got going: 95, 100, 105kg. I guess a PR is a PR right? Downside is of course, I suck at benching. But never the less going 6/6 so far!

Deadlifts rolled around, by this point I'd be warming up/on the platform for close to 2.5 hours, I had a massive headache and generally felt s***, it had been a really long day. We got there at 8.30am and didn't start lifting until 4pm! That's a lot of hanging around watching people lift.
   However, when I was warming up I got to 160kg and it flew up. This is a bit of an indicator lift for me at the moment, it's when this MIGHT start to feel difficult. Then 185kg felt easy which was my last warm-up, so looking good at this point... The plan was to go: 200/210/220.
   Which, I'm glad to say, actually happened! 200kg felt very nice. 210kg moved well, but I had a slight grip issue, the bar almost fell out of my right hand at lockout, I think I miss-gripped as 220kg had no such difficulties. It wasn't the fastest of reps but it felt very solid!

So, to summarise, I went 9/9 finishing with PR's on all three lifts. Can't really ask for more than that, except bigger PR's of course....


At the end of the day people got awarded medals etc, and to be honest I was only expecting to get one for winning my weight class (74kg). But somehow I won best junior lifter... I have mixed feelings about this, while I'm very please/glad I won it, I feel that WILKS, which is what this is based off, kind of favours the lighter lifter, combine this with the fact I beat a friend by 1 point, I feel it should have possibly gone to him. BUT, that's not how the award is given! So, I got it, and I'm not going to complain. A HUGE amount.


No comments:

Post a Comment